Protect Your Family and Home from a Fire
A home fire can happen in an instant. One occurs in the U.S. every 86 seconds, according to National Fire Protection Association data. Prevention is the best way to protect your family and your home.
What Are the Leading Causes of Home Fires?
Knowing the primary fire causes can help safeguard your treasures:
1. Did you leave cooking unattended? On the list of causes for home fires, cooking takes the lead. Be especially careful when you are frying; always stay nearby, as this type of cooking is the likeliest to start a fire.
2. Is that heater getting too hot? Portable and stationary heating units are the second most common causes for fires. Keep all heating units a safe distance away from other objects in a room and on stable surfaces (per the units’ instructions).
3. Should an electrician be doing that? You want to reconsider fixing something yourself when it comes to electrical issues. Fires caused by lighting equipment or electrical distribution are ranked third.
4. Is arson an issue? Help protect your family from home fire cause number four by checking your environment. Reduce hiding places around your home, keep your gardens watered and make sure no flammable liquids (e.g. a mower gas container) are left outside.
5. Are you sure you placed that cigarette on the nightstand? Keep ashtrays available in each room and point them out to your guests who smoke. Move nightstands and tables where cigarettes will be placed away from the couch, bed, curtains and other fabrics. Taking these precautions will help prevent your family becoming a part of the fifth cause for and number one reason for deaths by home fires: smoking.
Even when you take precautions, a home fire can still occur. Ensure that your family is equipped with a fire extinguisher, smoke detector and escape plan. Include in your plan what professional you should call to assess the fire damage and do the fire cleaning. Taking time for prevention and planning can go a long way, so if a fire does happen, you and those you value most will be ready.